Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tonight: Semi-Final 1 (Preview)


The day has finally dawned and Eurovision 2013 is upon us. Today the speculation and hypothetical what ifs end. It's time for business to begin, the results are now indeed very real. So whats to look forward to? Who are my favourites and who's going to qualify? Let's take it from the top.

Austria
Austria opens this years contest with what is a reasonable song that could do with a somewhat better performance. The song has a good studio version that just cannot be picked up live. This probably is not a qualifier given Natalia's performances but still it should be a respectable opener to the show
My Grade: 5/10
Qualifier? No

Estonia
There are many fans out there for whom this Estonian entry is the one that bet Winne-Pooh. For me this is a dull not outstanding song that has its merits but it is completely lost in the overall scale of the contest, despite a fair draw this probably will end up a near qualifier. This though is very well performed.
My Grade: 5/10
Qualifier? No

Slovenia
Though this song is the first truly up-tempo number that the audience will hear there have been many concerns raised about the vocal abilities behind this song and given that these came through in the jury performance this song now seems dead in the water. However I would still maintain that Hanna has a really great song and I enjoy listening to the studio version of this.
My Grade: 6/10
Qualifier? No

Croatia
Underrated by fans and bookies alike going into this semi-final Croatia looks not just sure of itself but probably the best Balkan song in this years contest. Personally I think this is a great entry and even some of the critics of this song will sure agree that the harmonies are just wonderful. However before rehearsals started I had concerns that this song may struggle in the final as it just does not appear to go anywhere in the song. Though this Klapa entry will surely impress juries, in fact I think it may win the jury vote tonight.
My Grade: 7/10
Qualifier? Yes

Denmark
In my humble opinion this is the best song in this years contest. Everything about it just appeals to me. As a Eurovision fan this song leaves me in the unusual place where I think that though this is my favourite it may not be the best choice for the contest in the long run. Having said that this will sail into the final tonight.
My Grade: 10/10
Qualifier? Yes

Russia
Another song that has it's place booked in the final, but for all the wrong reasons. I see this entry as one which is manufactured and unoriginal. It will do well this year and could possibly win this semi-final, it still is a nice song but I just wish it was stronger.
My Grade: 6/10
Qualifier? Yes

Netherlands
This is another song that I really hope qualifies just to prove to the Dutch that they can do well at the contest. This song as its faults but overall it makes a nice package that should impress on the night.
My Grade: 8/10
Qualifier? Yes

Montenegro
No, just no. I really don't like this song and could think of many others that would have been better choices than a Dubstep entry. I don't get this but given what some influencial people think I'm inclined to see it as a qualifier.
My Grade: 4/10
Qualifier? No

Lithuania 
I like this song to an extent but this is just not one that will appeal to the mass audience and will probably not qualify.
My Grade: 5/10
Qualifier? No

Belarus
It really is a shame that Belarus changed their song and I do not agree with the opinions that if this song was from Turkey we would all be saying that it was a sure qualifier. Given the reports I have heard from Malmo over the last few days I think this would be an unlikely qualifier, but given that we will only be losing six songs this is possible.
My Grade: 5/10
Qualifier? Yes

Moldova
This is an Eastern European song sung in Romania that will appeal to many people. I see this as a likely qualifier though I think it is a dull song.
My Grade: 6/10
Qualifier? Yes

Ireland
At this point those of you who have followed the blog with me should know that I am not over keen on this Irish entry, in particular I do not think much of the performance. Having said that I am always very pleased to hear the rather positive feedback and given the late draw and the lack of anything really challenging after it, Ireland should have a positive outlook.
My Grade: 5/10
Qualifier? Yes

Cyprus
No it's not going to qualify, there is much more entertaining songs in this semi-final and more importantly there are better songs that will soak up the jury votes. Not a qualifier in my book though I have enjoyed the song on occasion. 
My Grade: 5/10
Qualifier? Yes

Belgium
Some people argue this is looking more and more sure of a qualification, I’m starting to agree with them, though this is only due to the running order position of the song. If this was any earlier in the draw I would have written this off. It’s by no means my favourite song this year but I don’t hate it in spite of only hearing it for the first time on the national final.
My Grade: 5/10
Qualifier? No

Serbia
I love the Serbian entry this year either as a studio version or as a live performance. This is a sure qualifier given the number of neighbours they have in this semi-final and the song is quite a nice one. How they do on the final night will largely depend on the running position it gets.
My Grade: 8/10
Qualifier? Yes

So my 12 points are as follows:

12 - Denmark
10 - Ukraine
8 - Netherlands
7- Serbia
6 - Croatia
5 - Slovenia
4 - Moldova
3 - Russia
2 - Austria
1 - Cyprus

But my prediction as to who will qualify is:
Croatia
Cyprus
Netherlands
Denmark
Ukraine
Russia
Moldova
Serbia
Belarus
Ireland
But of course I will be wrong but I do hope you enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment