Saturday, May 25, 2013

ESC 2013 Debrief

It is really hard to believe that it has only been a week since at this time I was probably watching the UK, Sweden, Hungary and Denmark all performing on the Eurovision stage. This was a strange Eurovision year for me. In the run up to it I had not the time to review all of the songs in the depth way I did last year. I hadn't the time either to think about reading all of the blog posts, analysis and articles that speculated about who exactly might win this year's Eurovision. 

I had been afraid that I might not enjoy the contest enough or maybe I just didn't care anymore. Many of the blogs that I read pointed out that this year the quality of songs was very poor and perhaps, I thought, this was why I didn't pay as much attention to ESC this year. Fortunately though the contest creep-ed up on top of me this year, it was as magic as it ever was.

But now with Eurovision 2013 out of the way it is time to begin preparing for - The Eurovision Song Contest 2014. 

I'm really looking forward to next year's contest. This year, I'll be honest and say that I was somewhat disappointed by SVT's show. While it was a contest that was as entertaining as ever - and arguably the first final I ever laughed during - I had expected something just a little more innovative from SVT. Looking back on the contest I sort of feel they took the Melodifestivalen format and sort of tried to fit Eurovision into that. 

While on the surface ESC and MF are virtually the same show when you actually examine them they are deeply different. In the case of Eurovision 2013 it felt a bit like SVT tried to hammer the wrong jigsaw piece into where they thought it would go in the puzzle. Next year I think that DR may have a different show. I do expect it will be more close to DMGP, but I do think that this will be a really great thing. 

As regards the political side of the contest I think that Dr. Paul Jordan has written an excellent blog posting looking back on this year's contest: 


As regards me? I won't lie a time will come when I will run out of time and the blog will disappear. It is my plan to keep it going with whatever time I have through until at least this time next year. So I look forward to another great ESC, with all of my readers.

Finally those of you with a statistics fetish should keep an eye on the blog over the coming days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment