Thursday, May 3, 2012

Maybe Just Leave It For The CD

After what was one of the longest and drawn out selection procedures there were so raised eyebrows when the national final was won by Sofi Marinova and her song Love Unlimited. Having not really come through in the earlier two rounds of the national final this was a surprise

.

When I first heard this song I thought that it was a bit generic and excessively "hard" pop music which I never really was that mad about. The notes hit by Sofia seemed a bit high for my likely too. That said this could be a nice one in a club. There can be little doubt that this actually is a great studio song. It ticks all of the right boxes. The problem is that live this just does work and stinks of a semi-finalist who will be going home earlier than they hoped.

This really is a shame as I never know what to make of Bulgaria at Eurovision, they somehow seem not to try hard enough. They are in the second semi-final and are after Ukraine. Ukraines entry might be a bit more accessible than Bulgarias but that is debatable.

Verdict: This song should never have been let leave the CD. I can't see this qualifing but it is possible that juries might like it as it is technically a good song. Personally, I am not a massive fan of the song but I can fully understand how you might like this.

Grade: D+

No comments:

Post a Comment